In the frighteningly short amount of time that I have remaining in Benin I am, well, going a special kind of crazy. How is it that only two months remain of this Peace Corps journey? One that started at a September 2007 interest meeting at CNU that I didn't plan on taking too seriously? That received Mom's blessing in October that year when I went home for an awesome James Taylor concert weekend in Richmond and cried-again-as he sang "Shower the People?" Through the excrutiating waiting process, postponements, cancellations, and more postponements! How is it possible that when I got my final assignment in March 2009 I wondered, "What the heck is Benin?" And now, two years later, I'm wondering, "How the heck am I going to say goodbye?"
Make no mistake- I am JAZZED to be coming back to America. I love it there; it's home! But Benin's become home, too, despite what sometimes feels like never-ending harassment, suffocating heat and all the other things that make life and work challenging. Also, the cockroaches. Let's face it: sometimes it's been a crappy time. But that's life and crappy things can happen anytime, anywhere. Ultimately, it comes to this:
I am, quite simply, really happy to have passed these two years in Benin. When I think about it, I smile in that way that makes my eyes all squinty-like and deepens whatever crows feet I've already got going on.
So, in these coming weeks I'll be soaking up as much quality time with my neighbors in village and PCV friends. And after a few more meetings and obligations, I'll be on my way...
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hard to believe how fast that two years has gone. What an adventure you've had! Your last two years have been more action-packed than probably anyone else you know!
ReplyDelete