(Originally written on Monday, September 28, 2009)
Well it's official! I am sworn-in as a US Peace Corps Volunteer and it feels great!
The ceremony on Friday was as nice as can be expected under tarp tents in a parking lot. It started late, of course, and went on for awhile and I didn't always understand what was being said because various languages were spoken, but it was a totally cool and proud morning. It was pretty intense to raise my right hand and take the oath to defend the US Constitution against enemies and other things so help me God, but I made it through without stumbling over too many of the words. And to top it off, I got a free Sprite afterwards.
With last week being days of winding-down and this weekend being our last before moving to Post, we spent lots of time hanging out and enjoying the last moments of each others' company. Training was definitely interesting from the social perspective; it's amazing how the concentration of time and people in a totally foreign situation can create so much drama. Drama that I got to watch because I don't have any to speak of for myself, really, except that making friends was harder than I thought. It wasn't dramatic, it was just a little sad. But that's behind me now and I had a great time celebrating with folks. Inevitably I cried a bit when the first people started to leave, but in my defense- in addition to the situation at hand, the song playing in the background was none other than “We are the World.” I don't think I need to say much else- you know how I am. I'm just grateful I didn't hear any Louis Armstrong.
I also spent the weekend at the marché trying to buy all sorts of things for my house. Luckily, the Volunteer I've replaced left all of her furniture. I basically had to buy items to stock the kitchen. So I had a few exhausting and semi-productive trips au marché bargaining for basins (for laundry and dishes), string, forks and spoons, a dustpan, a whole bunch of other stuff and some new sandals. Being at the marché absolutely ranks as one of the most ridiculous things about life right now- actually, okay, everything is crazy and ridiculous and lots of times I just think, “Holy Moses, Katie! Yes, you are really living this life right now and doing all of these things like discuter-ing for string and jumping on motorcycles and trying to speak French…” and it kind of boggles my mind. It is all so bizarre. I can't even explain.
But, picture this: one of my final purchases before I left Porto-Novo was a standing, oscillating fan. I was with a friend and she bought one too; this was our plan, thinking that if we were buying two we could talk the price down further. It was successful, but only after kind of a long time. Anyway, we bought two fans. Then we hailed a zem and climbed on- with our assembled, standing fans- and rode to our respective homes. Imagine! Three people on a motorcycle; two American gals in big helmets holding on to large fans as the zem rushes along at a speed fast enough to keep up with the insane traffic. Pretty funny. And I have more upper-body strength than you might think, so don't worry. Also, ya never really know how fast you're going on a zem or in a taxi or anything- it seems that speedometers don't work, which is fine for some because mostly there aren't speed limits. And also, when I say “taxi,” just think of a terrifically-gutted, dirty old car or van without seatbelts that (uncomfortably) fits more than the suggested number of people.
So I'm getting ready to spend my first night at Post! I'm super pooped, so I hope I sleep well. I can hear the music from the buvette that's a quick left out of my concession and there are a lot of kids around (kids do not have bed times here), so we'll see how quickly I get used to all that commotion. I spent most of the afternoon cleaning and hanging curtains that I had made back in Porto-Novo and unpacking, and I'll continue tomorrow… and days after that. When it looks more like home, I'll take pictures and share!
I hope you all are doing well at home or wherever you might be! Stay well and, as always, thanks for reading this little blog o' mine and for your support. Lots of love :o)
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment