Well, it certainly has been quite some time since I’ve posted on my blog here. My apologies! With the (what feels like) brief access to the internet and the different keyboards, I felt like I couldn’t be as thoughtful with regard to whatever I might post. Now, I’m using my laptop at home (after purchasing what seems to be a sturdy-looking adapter/regulator/please don’t let my computer explode device), saving my posts, and quickly transferring them when I have internet access again. At least, that is the plan. We’ll see how it goes. If you’re reading this, I’d say it worked out pretty well!
Now, on to more exciting stuff! But first, a piece of trivia: How long have I been in Benin (haha, say that aloud, “been in Benin”)? If you guessed a little over a month, you are absolutely right. And I agree with you that this 4+ week figure seems about right but bizarre at the same time! An entire month, really? On one hand, I feel like it’s been way longer and if you said, “No, Katie, it’s been six months at least,” I would totally believe you. On the other hand, well… no, it certainly doesn’t feel like only two days or anything like that, but in general there’s this tension with the perception of how time is passing. Right now, there is so much going on all the time that it’s really moving along. I know, though, that the first three months at post will feel different without the demands of training and the limited access to American friends. But I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it!
So, I’m headed into week 5 of training and here’s what’s happened so far:
The first few days we spent in the capital, and I took my first language assessment, learned how to hail and discuter (basically to argue prices) with ‘zemidjans,’ aka ‘zem,’ which are the motorcycle ‘taxi’ transportation. Then I learned how to get on and stay on, which was pretty frightening and hysterical at the same time and has gotten way more comfortable in a few short weeks. (The traffic here is unbelievable- the way people drive and the basic lack of traffic laws. It’s basically the craziest driving and seems like a death trap, but it’s surprisingly not that hard to get used to… although I really didn’t have much of a choice!) We’ve had cross-cultural, safety and health training, along with tons of language training and technical training. As far as technical training has gone, I have participated in garden installation, mud-stove building, trying to know what the heck is important about my gear-shifting bicycle and how to change tires and stuff (I do not have a natural knack for bicycles, that’s for sure), learning about this super-cool tree called Moringa, environmental education information, and other stuff that I’ve already forgotten. It’s true, we get a ton thrown at us and you think, “Can I use this information I’m learning in week 3 when I start ‘working’ in five months or so?” Somehow, it all works out because I’m sure every other Trainee has felt that way. And I say “five months” because for the first three months at post, we’re not to apply the technical; instead, we’re to get to know our community. Don’t kid yourself, it’s an exhausting process getting to know people in a foreign language.
School (training) starts at 8am every day. I’m up by 6:30am, at the latest, and I meet a few friends to ride to school together. From my house, it’s like a 25 minute bike ride. And when I say ‘ride with friends,’ I mostly mean: We meet, leave together, and then I fall behind because I’m super slow. At least I know the way now- it seemed to take me a little longer than others. I attribute that partially to the fact that for the first two days at least I couldn’t be bothered with looking for landmarks. Rather, I was too busy trying to avoid getting hit by motorcycles and trying not to hit chickens and goats in the way. We have an hour for lunch at school, and we’re done at 4:15pm. Then a lot of us typically head out to a “buvette,” or bar, where I might indulge in a nice, cold Coca-Cola. And you know it’s an indulgence if I’m paying for a soda! Then I go home and hang out with my host family, usually just my host siblings who are very good to me. I eat dinner early, usually by 7:30, because if I ate much later than that my face would probably just fall into my plate. I’m typically in bed before 9:30pm, with good reason, I think!
With regard to food, my host family accommodates my vegetarian needs really nicely. I eat a lot of smushed up vegetables with either rice, couscous, or sometimes… macaroni! They love to toss a lot of onions into everything, which isn’t too fun for me because I don’t find it delicious at all to just chomp right into a bit of onion. But they leave out a staple ingredient here in Benin, which is “piment,” or pepper (a super hot pepper, if I may say). Of course, everything that’s fried here is delicious and also terrible for my stomach. I haven’t developed a taste for other local non-fried foods, but maybe someday. I eat a lot of eggs these days, too. It’s pretty necessary. Another fun food combination: spaghetti with… eggs, beef, etc. in a sandwich or just on a plate. It seemed strange at first but not now- a nice spaghetti and egg sandwich for lunch hits the spot.
The weather has been relatively comfortable because we’re in between some seasons, I cannot remember which- short, dry, rainy- I don’t know, but it’s not bad at all! Actually, it’s cloudy a LOT so the sun isn’t as strong… but when the sun is out, whew, watch out! It is HOT! On the topic of clouds- I’ve never seen so many, potentially so dark, for so long WITHOUT seeing the rain that they should produce! Seriously!
For the past few days I’ve been on technical visit, which is when small groups of Trainees go to a Volunteer’s house to see what life is like as a Volunteer. It was a neat experience, away from the cities that we’ve been in solely. It took about a bajillion hours by taxi/taxi van/bus and felt like being on the worst road you’ve ever ridden on, but in a wooden roller-coaster car instead of a normal vehicle. Okay, so it wasn’t a bajillion-hour ride- it was about seven or eight. Then on the way back, we stopped off in the capital and took some zems to stop in to the PC Bureau. It was a much needed break from the crazy road.
Well, I should probably give your eyes a break and pick up next time. Let me know if there are any questions that I can answer for you. I’ll definitely be posting more now that I’ve got my technology all sorted out, but again my apologies for not posting sooner.
So, I am doing very well and continue to look forward to your notes/e-mails/letters/packages and often think about how lucky I am to have so much support back home. Truly, I find strength in so much love and can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. Thank you :o)
So, until next time! I’m having a great time in Benin and will keep you posted on life. And, seriously, don’t hesitate to ask anything! Much love to all and, as always, thanks for reading!
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! Sounds like you have already has more than a lifetime of adventures, and you are just starting. As for the food...who knows? Maybe you'll start a new trend in the US! I am so happy for you!
ReplyDelete